Tax and account services for charities

Tailored tax and accountant services for Charities, including bookkeeping and returns to the Charities Commission. Whether you plan to sell a few charity Christmas cards, or you want to want to have a full-scale trading operation, we can advise you on the best business entity in which you can carry out your trading activity.

Schedule a meeting

New Charity assistance

With specialist charity accounting and tax services, including returns to the Charities Commission, we help our charities understand the complexities of tax advantages for those who wish to make donations which helps them to increase their funding pool.
for full details and guidance on the charity commission for England and Wales.

NMJN Accountants assist new charities who are just starting out by advising on:

  • Legal structures available (incorporated or unincorporated charity, CIC, etc.),
  • Governing Documents,
  • Charity Commission,
  • Companies House and HMRC registrations.

Gift Aid Scheme

We can advise on all aspects of the gift aid scheme, including how to register, what records you need to keep, and what requirements need to be met for donor benefits, admission fees, and membership schemes.

Claiming Gift Aid as a charity or CASC

Claiming Gift Aid as a charity or CASC. You can claim back 25p every time an individual donates £1 to your charity or community amateur sports club (CASC). This is called Gift Aid.

To be eligible to claim gif aid, you must be recognised as a charity or CASC for tax purposes.

Charities Tax & VAT

Although charities can take advantage of a variety of tax exemptions – income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax, VAT reliefs, and business rates relief to name a few they are not exempt from tax. The charities we see today are operating in an increasingly commercial way and it is difficult to know what exemptions and reliefs apply. With our knowledge of charity tax exemptions and reliefs, we can help you structure the charity’s activities in the most tax-efficient way. We can help you understand when fundraising becomes taxable trading, and when a council-funded project becomes a VATable supply of services.

VAT for charities is a particularly complex and specialised subject and we can help you:

  • Register and deregister for VAT.
  • Providing information on how to reduce your VAT.
  • Preparing complex partial exemption calculations.
  • Preparing and filing quarterly VAT returns.

Tax advice and accountants for charities

NMJN Accountants Limited

Depending on the activities you are carrying out you may be able to keep these within the charity, otherwise you may need to set up a trading subsidiary. We can advise on the legal and tax implications as well as help you set up a subsidiary company if required.